For new users who are unfamiliar with GitHub’s user interface, which some find to be confusing, the download process can be a little scary. It might be a little tricky for beginners in finding how to download a GitHub file. Although there are several ways to download source code into your personal integrated development environment (IDE), once you get the hang of it, the procedure is simple.
The easiest way how to download a GitHub file is by filtering the type of files you want to download. This article will guide you through two simple methods you can try. Let’s check ’em out!
Table of Content
Things You Should Know About Downloading a GitHub File
- Private repositories on GitHub are not always accessible because they are only visible to the repository owners and collaborators.
- GitHub also allows you to download archived files.
2 Methods on How to Download a GitHub File
GitHub provides various sources for developers and software engineers in storing and archiving their data. If you’re looking for files on GitHub and want to download them, you can do it in 2 different methods. Follow through the steps below!
1. How to Download a GitHub File from the Website
Open source codebases are available for users to download for free from public repositories. Even without a GitHub account, anybody can use it.
To download an open-source database, follow to following steps:
- Go to the GitHub website.
- In the top left corner of the website, click “Explore.”
- Choose “Topics” from the “Explore GitHub” menu.
- Select a subject from the featured selection of subjects. All public repositories that match the chosen topic will be listed on GitHub. Additionally, you have the option to sort by most stars, filter the repositories by programming language, and more.
- Select the desired repository.
- Select the “Code” tab from the menu.
- Press the “Code” button located to the right. There should be a dropdown.
- Click “Download ZIP” under the “HTTPS” option in the “Clone” menu.
- The selected repository will be downloaded in ZIP format. Use the “README.md” file to find setup and usage instructions after the repository has been installed on your device.
2. How to Download a GitHub File on Archive Folder
You can download an archive of your account data from GitHub as well. Here are the guidelines.
- Open the “Account Settings” tab.
- Select “Start export” under the “Export account data” section. A download link will now be delivered by GitHub to your primary email address.
- If you are requested to enter your password again, click the download link in your email.
- By default, GitHub stores the information from your account in a tar.gz file. After seven days, the download link will automatically expire. Repositories and profile metadata are stored on GitHub as part of personal account activity.
- A Download button may appear on the file if it isn’t a text or code file that GitHub allows you to update online. If so, click it to download the file to your computer.
- In GitHub, PDFs, and the program installs typically display with download links.
Find out more about tips and guides on GitHub and other topics on this page.