It can be annoying to receive calls you don’t want, and it’s even worse when the caller hides their number. Telemarketers and real estate agents love this trick because it helps them get people who don’t know them to answer their calls. It is indeed to get an unknown call.
If you are using an iPhone, there are a few things you can do to stop receiving calls from an unknown ID. This guide will show you how to block these unwanted calls on your iPhone in 3 different ways.
Table of Content
Things You Should Know About Blocking Unknown Callers on iPhone
- iPhone has a Focus Mode (moon icon) that allows users to customize the state of their iPhone. This feature is a great call filter and is available on iOS 15 and later.
- If you’re running iOS 13, you can use the Silence Unknown Callers feature, which allows you to block unknown numbers.
- On iOS 12 and older versions, you can customize the settings by adding a new contact which will block all unknown caller id calls.
How to Block No Caller ID on iOS 13 and Later
One of the good features brought by iOS 13 is the enabling block calls. This feature allows users to activate “Silence Unknown Callers” which will block any unsaved numbers or new numbers on the iPhone.
If you’re running iOS 13 and later, you can follow the steps below to block unknown numbers.
1. Activating “Silence Unknown Callers”
With the release of iOS 13, a new feature called “Silence Unknown Callers” was added. All calls from unknown callers are sent to voicemail by this app. Your iPhone won’t ring, but the call will be saved in the Recents section of your phonebook, and if the person leaves a voicemail, you’ll get a message.
Here’s how to use your iPhone 10, 11, or 12’s Silence Unknown Callers feature:
- Unlock your iPhone and open Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on the Phone option.
- When the menu pops up, find the option to “Silence Calls from Unknown Numbers” and slide the switch to the right to turn on the feature. When the toggle is turned on, it will turn green.
2. Activating “Do Not Disturb”
You can also block calls from people you don’t know by using the “Do Not Disturb” feature on your iPhone. This program is pretty easy to set up. Here’s how:
- Open Settings > Focus.
- Now, move through the menu until you find “Do Not Disturb” and tap it.
- Tap Allow Calls From, then choose “All Contacts” from the list.
- Close the menus and go back to your Home screen.
Note: This solution works because only people on your list of contacts can call you. But it stops all other calls from getting through, so you may miss important calls from people who aren’t on your contact list.
3. Creating a New Contact
The third way to block unknown numbers is to make a new contact that you can call “Do Not Answer” or “No Caller ID.” Your iPhone can’t block hidden or private numbers because it can’t figure out who they belong to. But you can get around this by making a contact that looks like this unknown number. Here’s what you need to do:
- To add a new contact, go to Contacts and tap the + icon.
- In the box for the contact’s name, type “No Caller ID.”
- Then, type “000-000-0000” as the new contact’s phone number.
- To save, click Done.
- Next, look through the contact’s profile until you find the option to “Block this Caller” and tap on it.
- To confirm your choice, click Block Contact.
- Now, your iPhone will treat any hidden or private numbers as blocked numbers. If someone calls you from an unknown number, your phone won’t ring.
How to Block No Caller ID on iOS 12 and Older
iOS 12 has its own way to prevent you from multiple unknown numbers. This can be done on the older version of the iPhone with older iOS. Follow the steps below!
1. Adding a New Contact
Since “Silence Unknown Callers” does not support iOS 12 and older, you can do it by adding a new contact. The steps are below:
- Open Contacts on your iPhone.
- Click the “Add” icon to create a new contact.
- Name the new contact as “No Caller ID” and add on the number bar “000-000-0000“.
- Then click “Done” to save the contact.
- Open the newly created No Caller ID detail.
- Scroll down and tap on “Block this Caller.”
- Tap “Block Contact” to confirm.
- This should be blocking any unknown numbers on your iPhone.
2. Activating Do Not Disturb
This feature is also available on the latest iOS, yet you can activate it on iOS 12 as well. This might be your best way to block no-callers IDs. Follow the steps below:
- Open Settings.
- Tap on the “Do Not Disturb,” slide to toggle to activate it.
- You can also customize your “Allowed Contacts” that can call you when it’s active.
- When it’s active, you will only get calls from those contact you have selected on “Allowed Contact.”
How to Block No Caller ID from SIM Card App
SIM Card companies like T-Mobile and AT&T provide their customer with blocking apps. These apps can help you to manage and set up who can call and who can’t call you.
1. T-Mobile Blocking No Caller ID App
If you’re using T-Mobile, you can also activate its blocking feature. T-Mobile provides its customers with a phone app called ScamShield, which is a filtering tool that blocks robocalls, spam, and other types of unsolicited calls.
The application can be downloaded from either the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store at no cost. You have the option of going with Scam Shield Premium, which will charge you money on a monthly basis but will provide you with a version that is slightly more powerful.
2. AT&T Blocking No Caller ID App
AT&T also provides its customers with an app of its own, referred to as AT&T Call Protect. It can help you block unwanted calls from being received on your mobile device. AT&T customers who have an iPhone 6 or later and an operating system that supports HD voice can download and use the app.
You have the choice between the free, more basic version or the premium option, which requires a monthly subscription payment of $3.99. Both options have a feature that blocks unknown callers and alerts you when a nuisance caller is calling.
If you’re living in Australia or Hong Kong, you can customize your iPhone settings to prevent unknown callers. Follow the steps below for blocking unknown callers in Australia and Hong Kong!
- Open Settings.
- Select Phone.
- Scroll down till you see Silence Unknown Callers. Tap on it!
- Slide the toggle to activate it.
- This setting will block any unknown callers on your phone.